Friday, September 10, 2010

Wisdom

This afternoon I was honored to be part of an intimate luncheon to celebrate the 90th Birthday of my sweet neighbor Dora. My Grandmother would have been 90 this November, so Dora is dear to my heart – a California Grandmother to me! As we sat and listened to fun stories, I asked Dora to pass along some wisdom to us all. Before she could answer, her daughter offered a story that would illustrate wisdom she had gleaned from her mother. Niquie shared that when she was young, her mother would ask her the time in the afternoon. Niquie would reply that it was after 5pm and quickly Dora would go into the bathroom to brush her hair and reapply lipstick. When asked what she was doing, Dora answered, “Your father is on his way home from work.” She wanted to look her best when her man walked through the door! I just loved this story and loved seeing the sparkle in Dora’s eyes as she listened, fondly remembering those days awaiting the arrival of her love. “That’s what you did in those days,” she said. Yes, a little old fashioned, but a powerful statement of priorities, passion, and commitment. On this eve of my 6th Wedding Anniversary, I think I’m going to take a moment to go brush my hair and reapply my lipstick. There is a man coming home that I want to know how much he means to me and how much I’ve been looking forward to his arrival!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...