Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Believe In

The lovely dinner we attended last weekend was a celebration for the Reverend Dr. David Worth and his 40 years of ordained ministry. There was a large celebration at Beverly Hills Presbyterian Church, where he currently pastors, that morning. But the dinner was more intimate for close family and friends. My husband was his Associate Pastor at Malibu Presbyterian Church sometime ago and we’ve remained friends, but still felt rather honored to be included in this special group of people. Everyone in the room shared their relationship to Dave and his wife Nancy and the testimony of their ministry echoed throughout the room. When it came time for me to share, I got emotional (no surprise!!) as I recalled the significant impact this man has had in my life. Several years ago the college ministry at MPC was growing rapidly and the college pastor at the time (my current husband!) approached Dave asking that they hire someone else to help him in this large ministry. There was no money in the budget for this and the timing wasn’t great, but because Dave believed in the college pastor and in university ministries, he alone raised the salary for this new person to be hired. That person was me! Because Dave had radical faith in God’s provision and because of his commitment to his staff and college students, my life in full time ministry began and my passion for college students grew. I will never be the same because of that opportunity. Beyond that, I tearfully shared that the thing I am most thankful for is that Dave and Nancy have always encouraged my husband and believed in him (even throughout these past 10 years out of church ministry) and I have greatly benefitted from that. Encouragement from another and the words, “I believe in you,” are so powerful. Do you have anyone in your life that believes in you? Who believes in your passion and your vision? Do you have a friend that you believe in and have you told them? Your spouse? Your children? A co-worker? “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” I Thessalonians 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...