Monday, September 20, 2010

Truth

Last week I took my children to Pepperdine to see their amazing memorial to those who lost their lives on September 11th. There is a flag for each person who died and the display of color blowing in the wind is both powerful and beautiful. My children thought it was amazing and fun until they asked me why the flags were there. I hesitated for a moment, not really knowing how much to tell a four year old about evil in our world (not only for their lack of ability to comprehend it, but also the potential of them staying awake at night, fearing evil people!). Then, in my lack of creativity, I just told them the truth. They began to ask so many questions about how and why someone would do this and I answered as truthfully as I could. It was very freeing to tell them the truth. If I would have made up a watered down story, it would have affirmed the terrorists power and evil, because I was afraid to tell my children what they did. But in telling my children the truth, I felt like evil was not to be feared, but explained in its proper light – which is subordinate to the power of God. Yes, there is evil in this world. But, the truth is Jesus Christ has over come this world. Terrorists will never have the final word. Jesus holds the final word as the Way, Truth, Life, and ultimate judge.

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...