Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Jesus

Today my little ladies had their Christmas party at school. They go to a private Christian school and so the party was a Birthday Party for Jesus. We sang Happy Birthday, blew out candles and had pizza and cake! I know that Christmas is all about Jesus’ birth. I know that we always talk about not getting distracted with shopping, presents and Santa and miss the true meaning. I know all this. But I have to confess, I usually settle in and focus on Jesus when I’m sitting in church on Christmas Eve; the shopping is finished, the baking is over, the wrapping is taped up, and there is nothing left to do but enjoy the next 24 hours. Ahhh, then I can sing the carols with conviction, “Joy to the world, the Lord has come,” “Silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright,” “Oh come all ye faithful, come let us adore him, Christ the Lord.” Then my heart is calm and clear so that I can truly sing those songs with Jesus on my mind. How sad that I wait until the last 24 hours to honestly settle in on Jesus’ birth. Yea, we read Bible stories all month to our kids about Jesus being born. Of course we have the nativity set up in the house to see everyday. We talk about the true meaning of Christmas with our children all the time. But my heart is not there. Having a Birthday Party for Jesus on the 15th of December set me straight. I’m not going to wait until I’m sitting in church on the 24th to have it sink in. I’m making a conscience decision right now to get my heart there. To get on my knees in the manger and worship that baby that has changed my life forever. I still have lots of baking and wrapping to do, but that doesn’t mean I can’t sing carols with conviction while I do it! It is all preparation for the Birthday Party for the King of Kings. It will mean nothing if it isn’t given from a heart that deeply knows and loves the birthday boy.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...