Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pearls

My girls love to dress up in jewels, heels, and tutus of course! All of the fine pearls and jewels came from a 2nd cousin, who received them from her Great aunts Paula and Willa! We were lucky that they shared. All of these pearls reminded me of the verse in Matthew 13:45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.” The verse that precedes it is, “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.” In these verses, I can see the thrill of the merchant and the joy of the man that found treasure. I remember when the package arrived from Cousin Callahan, sharing her jewels from her great aunts. The package was clearly addressed to my daughters, but when I saw what was inside, I was over the moon! The vintage jewels lit up my eyes and I couldn’t wait to try them on. This package was completely unexpected, and I was overwhelmed at its contents. Cousin Callahan and her mom had no idea that I am in love with vintage jewelry and it was like I hit the mother load! I think in a small way I felt the same way that the merchant did when he found the fine pearl, or the man who found the treasure – But their treasure would transform their lives forever. We are all searching for something in this world – peace, purpose, love, contentment, happiness, freedom… We are on a quest for fine treasure that will unlock the pain and fear in our lives and give us a sense of purpose and meaning. There is no need to keep searching. Jesus. He is the fine pearl and He is not hidden or buried. He is alive and knocking at your door, waiting for you to open up all that you are to Him. “Selling all that you have,” to follow Jesus and experiencing abundant life truly is like hitting the mother load.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...