Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Noodles & Beef

When I was a child, I remember my grandparents from Illinois coming to visit us each year
and that meant 4 things -
cinnamon rolls, Reeses Pieces, giving up my bedroom, and Noodles & Beef!
My Grandmother would make her famous cinnamon rolls in Illinois and bring them out to us, individually wrapped in a foil package, waiting to be reheated and devoured!
But the Noodles & Beef, she'd make in our kitchen for dinner.

We celebrated my Father's birthday over the holidays with a special birthday dinner.  I wanted to make something special for him and having just received all of my Grandmother's old recipes when my Aunt came to visit in the Fall, I knew Noodles & Beef would be special for the occasion!

The recipe card was worn and stained, marking it as a recipe made often!
The recipe itself was vague, and left much to the imagination of a novice noodle maker!
But I was so excited to give it try and impress my Daddy,
so I approached the challenge with confidence and prayer!




I was shocked!
It was rather easy and the end result was divine.
A bowl of memories, comfort and a confidence booster!
Do you have a favorite recipe from your Grandma?

Grandma Jones' Noodles & Beef:
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
3 T water
3/4 tsp. salt
Flour

Beef Roast
1 carton Beef Stock
1/2 large Onion
4-5 Garlic Cloves
Chopped Parsley for garnish

For the Beef:
Start by generously seasoning your beef roast with Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.  In a pot on medium / high heat, add 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil and sear the roast for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
Place the seared roast in a slowcooker.  Slice onion and place on the roast, crush the garlic cloves and place in the slowcooker, and add about 2 inches of beef stock.  Cook on low all day.

For the Noodles:
Whisk first 4 ingredients together.  Then "add flour."  How much you ask?  I have no idea!  I started with about 1 1/2 cups and then added small amounts until the consistency felt right!
Then divide the dough into 2 or 3 pieces and roll out on a floured surface.  Roll out about 1/8 of an inch thick, adding flour as needed to keep from sticking.  Allow the dough to dry out for about 20 minutes.  Then cut into strips in desired width, I used a pizza cutter and did about 1/2 inch strips.  Let the noodles dry out for another half hour or so.

When the roast is "falling apart" tender and the noodles are ready to cook, remove onion and garlic from the slowcooker (it's ok of there are a few remaining pieces), take all the liquid out of the slowcooker and place in a pot on the stove.  Add remaining beef stock to pot and bring to a light boil. 
Add the cut noodles.  Keep them at a soft boil for about 10-15 minutes or desired doneness.  The dusted flour on the noodles will help thicken the stock.  While the noodles are cooking, shred the beef and set aside.  When the noodles are finished cooking, add all the beef, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.  Serve immediately with fresh, chopped parsley for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...