Friday, January 15, 2016

We Are Not Troubled Guests

Wednesday night I went to a performance of sorts.
An honest, vulnerable, hilarious, storytelling by Scott Erickson.
I met Scott many years ago when I lived in Seattle and Scott is someone who always puts a smile on your face!  Whether he's showing up at your door with a "welcome basket" filled with random items like a can of soup and stuffed animal, 
or going out karaoke in a powder blue, polyester tux fully equipped with ruffles!
Oh, and did I mention he's a painter?
Oh yea, and that he loves Jesus!
And that he's married to a beautiful woman that I'm currently obsessed with 
(that's for another post! but check out The Modern Proper in the mean time!!!).

Anyhooch, Scott is currently doing a one man show called,

0000handheld

It's a mulitmedia presentation of his difficult conversation with God that came out of a dark time in his life, and lest you think it's moody and depressing, think again - there is a moment when he busts out with a little karaoke of Queen! 
 I'll leave it at that!

I had no idea what to expect, although I know Scott is highly talented and a person that I've always loved time with, I figured the show might me a bit too artsy for me and go over my head because I'm not really that "deep."  But oh no!  I was on the edge of my seat the whole show, laughing, borderline crying, but smiling for sure as he time and again revealed simple yet profound truths that stirred up all sorts of questions in me.

One thing he said that stuck with me was that people spend a lot of time in their lives trying to fit in and avoiding situations where we feel like we won't.  We want to belong.  This might cause us to be something other than who God has created us to be, 
someone who will fit in with society's norms and meet the world's demands.  
But if we are not true to ourselves, we are not living into who God has created us to be and fully reflecting His light to all around us, the light He put in us.
However, we are not troubled guests in this world.  
We belong. 
 Just as we are. 
 Just as God created us.
Go be who God made you to be today.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

And if ever you hear of We Are Not Troubled Guests playing somewhere within a 5 hour drive of you, do yourself a favor, get in the car and drive!
Happy Friday.
***

Go to Scott's site for all sorts of rad art and videos of what he does!
Some of Scott's Rad Art!


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Herry is here! All of these are beautiful! but If you are searching for Best West African Peanut, Pepper, Vegan Soup & Red Sauce for delicious lunch and healthy food. EgunsiFoods.com Can help you with that because EgunsiFoods is a good-tasting online & offline West African soup brand trusted by partners like Whole Foods Market and FreshDirect. Their customer’s favorites are vegan soup, peanut soup, tomato soup, red sauce soup, and Egusi soup. EgunsiFoods was featured in The New York Times. Shop now and get a discount on your first order. For more information: https://egunsifoods.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...