Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"I Don’t Know How She Does It”

I went to the movie, “I Don’t Know How She Does It” last night with a girlfriend. It was good. Thought provoking. Probably could have spurred on some good conversation if we both didn’t have to get home to go to bed! Throughout the movie, the working mom is marveled at by many who say, “I don’t know how she does it,” meaning juggling a family and a career. It was an interesting portrayal of moms today – stay at home moms and working moms. One of the things that struck me was the title of the movie that I myself have heard in regards to myself – “Raeanne, I don’t know how you do it.” Last month at our end of summer bash a dear friend told me that she knows women who can’t read my blog because it makes them feel bad about themselves or guilty that their life isn’t perfect like mine. I was so disgusted at this thought that I didn’t really hear all that she was saying. My perfect life? Seriously? All I know is that I don’t do it all. And when I try, someone always suffers. And I mean someone ALWAYS suffers. I don’t have a perfect life. My children aren’t perfect. My marriage isn’t perfect. However, I do love to cook. I do love to decorate for parties. I do think my children are beautiful. I do love my husband. But that doesn’t mean I have it all together. My original vision for my blog was to encourage and challenge others as I find Jesus in my everyday, small life as a mom and a wife. It’s not to portray myself as perfect. It is also not to share all of my faults and failures. In regards to the movie and the lead Sara Jessica Parker, I joked, “How does she do it? She doesn’t. Her staff does!” None of us have it all together. But I pray that we all have a community of believers acting as our “staff” that helps us.
*pictured is me with one of my trusted "staff" members! 
A dear sister in christ who helps me live my life to the glory of God

4 comments:

  1. cute shot of you and G! thanks for linking up!! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and I so want to see that movie with a bunch of girlfriends! Ahh... if only life was only perfect ~ it would be so boring! :) Here's to your little guy sleeping WELL tonight and to you getting a full nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Staff"...I like that idea. I'm thankful that I don't have to do this life without you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, some people are just glass-half-empty kinds of people. And when they see someone who really embraces opportunities and moments and pleasures, it makes them feel bad. Don't worry about it. Nobody's life is perfect. Believe me, I know that. Also, pictures are deceiving because they're so self-selective. You take pictures of what you want to, the way you want to, when you want to, and then selectively post. What a small snapshot of our lives our blogs really are. How I wish I could be on your regular staff like G. And you on mine. Consider me x-country staff. Hah!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...