Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wisdom

I signed up to help with VBS this year and honestly, as the week approached, I kinda regretted signing up. I could have had 3 hours every day for a week with just my little dude while the sissys were at Vacation Bible School. But I was committed so here I am, day 3 of VBS! I am leading the daily lesson that is followed up by a fun puppet theater presentation in the large group. Yesterday we talked about King Solomon and how he asked God for wisdom. I know the story. I’ve read it several times. But as I read the verses to the children I was struck by the profound request from little King Solomon.

From 1 Kings 3:
“the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, ‘Ask for whatever you want me to give you.’

At this point I asked my class of 5 year olds what they would ask for. Their answers: A jetpack. Shoes that could fly. (can you tell only the boys answered?!)


Solomon answered, … ‘Now, O Lord, my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties… So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong.’”

For the young king to even consider his responsibilities and his short comings in carrying them out, I’d say he was already rather wise beyond his years! No jetpack for him – nope – he wanted wisdom. I was humbled by his sense of duty. Am I taking my job as a mom that seriously? Do I feel the weight of governing our little family and discerning between right and wrong? Is my first request from God wisdom? I want it to be.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...