Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Find Peace On A New Path

This past Saturday I had a huge garage sale to get rid of all our baby gear and tons of clothes. The night before, as my husband and I staged everything in the garage, I told him, “I want you to know that this is very hard for me.” As I started to cry, he said, “It’s hard for me too.” Many would think that it was sad because it meant that we are having no more babies. But that wasn’t really it. I was sad for 2 reasons. First, all this tiny stuff (and masses of it I might add!) reminded me how quickly my children have grown out of these swings, bouncy seats, baby tubs, stand up toys and clothes. Second, we saved all of this stuff for a reason. A reason that no longer existed and seeing all of it reminded me of February, when we lost what would have been our fourth baby, the reason why we were keeping all the stuff. I have peace about not having another baby. I really do. I don’t feel a lot of peace about my three children growing up so quickly and I still don’t have a lot of peace about last February.

“Trust in the Lord with all your hearts and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5,6
I have little understanding of some things, so I have no other choice but to trust in the Lord. I do find peace in him and as I acknowledge him through life’s changes and disappointments, he opens the road to a new, blessed path.

2 comments:

  1. Awww...I've slowly started getting rid of extra baby things, and it seriously does hurt my heart. =( Although we do plan on having another baby in the next few years we just had an excessive amount of stuff. I've realized that all of it was definitely not needed......I hope your sale went well. Your girls are simply gorgeous. I don't have much peace about my lil' guy growing up so fast either....it's hard! It is VERY nice to know that we can rest in God and trust in Him throughout our kid's lives. His peace is VERY sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughts! I'm getting my heart ready now, though it may never be ready. I'm 3 days into a 14 day commitment cleaning out the basement. There are boxes we've not yet unpacked since leaving L.A. And oh so many baby accoutrements! I see this culminating in a yard sale and I'm sure that being an emotional seller does not a good yard sale make. It has felt good to give the ones with special memories to friends, thinking I just might get to see it again. But storing all this, even if I did need it again, is taking up space in my family. The finished side of the basement. Space where we should be able to play, make crafts, even exercise and just hang out. So I'm letting go of the "stuff" so I can just be with the family we are today!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...