Thursday, February 4, 2010

Freedom

Children have such amazing freedom! Perhaps their innocence, inhibition, and lack of experience liberate them in powerful ways. They can walk out of the house wearing a miss-matched outfit and we call them adorable! They can point to someone at the park and say whatever comes to their mind like, “she’s fat,” and we giggle and wisk them away to explain that some things are better left unsaid! When any music comes on they bounce and dance around without a care and often without any pattern or rhythm, but we watch in awe at their creative movement.

At what age does all of that freedom in life disappear? When do we become so aware of what we look like, what others think of us, what others look like… that we start living smaller lives? One night at the college retreat in Seattle, I was sitting in the front row before I got up to speak. The kids who emceed the weekend got everyone to their feet to teach them the Soulja Boy dance to “Crank Dat Dance.” I thought, “of all the nights to sit in the front!” I wished so badly that I could step back in time when I was probably the one up front leading everyone in some crazy dance, but I couldn’t. I stumbled through the steps, nervously laughing the whole time, secretly praying that it would soon be over!

That night, as I lay in bed, I had this overwhelming desire to experience total freedom like my children. To just enjoy every aspect of life without fear, worry or insecurities. Sadly, I know my children’s days are numbered before the lies of the world creep in and corrupt them, placing insecurities, fears and worries upon them. For now I’m going to try to learn from their freedom and should the day come that their freedom starts to disappear, I hope they can learn from me that true freedom in life comes from knowing Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. Dinner: lasagna. But, made with the Barilla no-need-to-boil noodles (recipe on box). I double the cheese called for and add some thawed, chopped spinach and mushrooms. Then I purchase those square tins to put it in.

    Put the lasagnas together (it makes three of the 8x8 squares) and pop 'em in the freezer. When time is short, I pull one out to thaw and we've got a great dinner.

    The noodles fit perfectly two-to-a-layer in the pans and without the need to boil the noodles, the lasagnas go together in a snap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this tonight and it was easy and pretty tasty--One of those cheesy comfort food yummies. Course, I always use a little extra cheese...:)

    Chicken Tamale Casserole

    Ingredients
    1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
    1/3 cup fat-free milk
    1/4 cup egg substitute
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
    1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (such as Martha White)
    1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
    Cooking spray
    1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce (such as Old El Paso)
    2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 400°.

    2. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

    3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I can't wait to try these!! Thanks Ladies :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...