Sunday, January 31, 2010

“You get what you get and you don’t throw a fit!”
When I started giving my daughters chewable vitamins they would shout out their color request as I went to grab the jar, “I want the red one…” I started to say to them, “you take what the jar gives!” And thus I eliminated the fights over which color vitamin they got.
How many times in my life am I shouting out my demands and requests – wanting something different than what I am given? Too many! A spirit of discontent is a dangerous thing.

When I allow my girls to watch one short program on TV, they often ask for “just one more.” And I ask them, “are you being greedy or grateful?” How many times does my mind wander to, “if only I just had more…”? Too many! A greedy heart is a dangerous thing to have.

A cute little children’s book we have, “Pinkalicious” – has the mother telling her demanding daughter, “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit!” We’ve read it so many times that the girls will quote it to each other, reminding their sister not to complain. But really, I think they should be saying it to me!

It’s easy to want a bigger house, more clothes, a new car, different friends, one more baby, more money, and the list goes on. But it has been impressed upon me lately to be content and enjoy what I’ve been given without asking for more. I already have more than I’ll ever need. Today I’m going to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...