Sunday, January 17, 2010

I Know I Love Popcorn
A friend once shared with me that sometimes in life it’s really easy to focus on all that we don’t know and don’t understand. It’s overwhelming, discouraging and frustrating. He said, at those times he sits on his front porch and says over and over, “I know I love popcorn, I know I love popcorn…” He said, if he knows one thing for sure, it is that he loves popcorn and even though that is simple and small, he focuses on what he knows for sure, rather than all he doesn’t!

As the images of the devastation in Haiti have burned into my brain this past week, the world is swirling with questions of “Why would God allow this?” “Where is God in this?” Or “If God is a loving God, why is there such great suffering?” To all these questions, I would answer – “I don’t know.” And to dwell on theses questions without answers is overwhelming, discouraging and frustrating. But instead I choose to focus on what I do know for sure, that God is not absent from the people of Haiti in the midst of their suffering. God loves the world. God is the only one who can give lasting hope and restoration to the people of Haiti. God will make something beautiful out of the rubble.

Some beautiful Haitian children I met while in the DR.

“For He has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.” Psalm 22:24




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...