Monday, March 18, 2013

David and the Sour Cream Blueberry Coffee Cake

Each Thursday morning, after dropping the children off at school, I go to Bible study.
I went to this Bible study for the first time 5 years ago when my girls were 2.  I didn't have the best experience, but the childrens' ministry was amazing and I couldn't believe how much scripture my girls memorized in that year - at 2 years old!  It was awesome, so I continued to go for them.
I took a few years off after that and when my son turned 2 I decided to join again so that he could go through the program.  I had pretty low expectations for my experience, but I wanted the little dude to get the same teaching his sisters got.
I was blown away at how different my experience was.
Every week a verse was shared, a work spoken or a passage studied where I was touched and felt confirmed, "this is exactly where I'm supposed to be."
My small group leader was a gift from God and the women in my group were amazing. We laughed so hard together and cried too as we shared in studying God's word and shared our lives.
I was hesitant to join again this year.  I didn't have any children to put in the program as my excuse and I didn't think any leader could top last year!
But I did and have been blessed each week again.
This year we're studying 1 Samuel and it has been great.  We've entered into the chapters about David, who is not yet king, and his character is blowing me away. His relationship with Jonathan is exactly what friendship should be and honestly, I'm a little envious!  I want a friend like Jonathan!
I don't really know why friendships with women can be difficult, but I do know that friendships between men can be even harder, for different reasons!
To read about David and Jonathan, how they had each other's back, their selfless care for one another, and their sacrificial love for each other has prompted me to pray for that kind of friendship for my husband.
If you are married, I challenge you to pray for your husband and pray specifically that God would place friendships in his life that are more than hanging out every now and again.  But deep, Christ centered friendships where your husband is taken care of, challenged, and loved on.
 
 
Also in this Bible study, we have brunch together every few months and last week I tried this Sour Cream Blueberry Coffee Cake that was to die for!
I had to flip it out of the pan right after pulling it out of the oven, so it fell apart a little!  I recommend letting it cool a bit before turning it out if you have the time!
But trust me, the broken apart cake didn't deter anyone from having seconds!!
 
Sour Cream Blueberry Coffee Cake
1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 c. frozen blueberries
 
Topping:
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. walnuts, chopped
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a bundt pan.
In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda.  Add dry mixture to wet.  Fold in the blueberries.
Pour 3/4 of the batter into the pan.  In a small bowl prepare topping: mix sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.  Pour 3/4 of topping on batter in the pan.
Top with remaining batter and topping.  Bake 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
** I recommend letting it cool a bit before turning it out onto a platter!
 
All recipes are posted here, on What's For Dinner.  Check it out!


1 comment:

  1. This recipe sounds wonderful- I think I'll try with frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries) and see if it's just as delicious ... only because that's what I have on hand without going to the store and I REALLY wanna make it! :)

    About the hubby friendships... I totally agree! My husband has NO friends here! It makes me sad for him. He has a "Jonathan" that lives in another state, but I would LOVE for him to have THAT kind of friendship here! Heck, I want an awesome friendship like that too! I have plenty of FRIENDS, but nothing like the David/Jonathan relationship!

    (sorry 'bout the long comment...LOL)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...