Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Meditation

There is rest amongst the chaos of life
 
On my journey with anxiety, I have started to go to acupuncture.  This is certainly something I never really thought I’d do in my life!  But my doctor suggested it as an alternative aid to ease stress and balance my nervous system and so on.  I called the woman she recommended and talked to her for quite some time.  I was nervous, not knowing hardly anything about it, and being a Christian, I wasn't sure if it was something that would work for me.  I had ideas of Buddhas everywhere, incense, and perhaps something spiritual that I wouldn’t agree with.  But after a long conversation, I felt peace about giving it a try and was assured that there would be nothing spiritual in my treatments.  My first appointment met my expectations – there were little Buddhas everywhere and incense!  But my time with the acupuncture therapist was amazing and she has been a great source of encouragement to me, a cheerleader if you will!  And she genuinely cares about my health and healing.  Plus who knew you get a full body massage after each treatment?!  It’s almost better than the spa (and it’s no Chinese Foot Massage!).  When I asked a dear, Spirit filled friend what she thought about me going to acupuncture and all the Buddhas everywhere and if I was entering into something that I shouldn’t, she reminded me, “they’re just statues”!  Very true.
One tool that I received in acupuncture was a Daily Breathing & Meditation Guide.  I modified some of the language to fit my life and it has been a wonderful tool to use to quiet all the noise swirling around me, focus my heart on the truth that God promises me, and live into the abundant life Jesus came to give me.  I wanted to share the meditation guide with you and encourage you to give it a try.  I can honestly say that when I’m sinking down, I get alone and go over this meditation for about 20 minutes and after I feel completely different!

 The Bible is full of people who meditated on God’s word.  Meditation is a spiritual discipline that we are all called to.  I’m just learning about it and I’ve loved using this tool to start that discipline in me.
Psalm 19:14
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 49:3
My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the meditation of my heart will give you understanding.
Psalm 104:34
May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the LORD.
Psalm 77:12
I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”
Genesis 24:63
He went out to the field one evening to meditate, and as he looked up, he saw camels approaching.
Joshua 1:8
Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rhythmic Breathing:  INHALE to the count of 4, PAUSE & HOLD for 2 seconds, EXHALE to the count of 4, continue for at least 4 minutes.

 THEN, taking your awareness off of your breath, OBSERVE how that exercise made you feel.

 TUNE INSIDE, TAKING NOTE OF YOUR MENTAL, EMOTIONAL, SPIRITUAL, PHYSICAL STATE.  Simply notice, being present for yourself without judgment.  Thank yourself for taking the time to listen.

 CLOSE YOUR EYES AND ACKNOWLEDGE to yourself that your health, how you feel physically, mentally, spiritually & emotionally is creating your life experience and your memories day by day.

AFFIRM that you are a valuable being, a child of God! And you’ve been promised the full inheritance of Christ.  Abundant life, life to the full, has been given to you through what Jesus did on the cross.  There is a full banquet table before you, filled with God’s promises and His equipping to give you victory in this day.  Affirm that abundant life in Jesus is not only possible, but available and attainable.  

ASK God to transform you by the renewing of your mind.  Ask His Holy Spirit within you to work to keep you focused on abundant life in Jesus.  Ask the Holy Spirit to help you release the root causes of your disease or discomfort through choices that support healing and abundant life.

 NOW ALLOW yourself to fully imagine in exquisite detail, the experience of vibrant health, ease and flow in your body, balance in your life, joy in your heart and abundant life in Jesus.  Continue for 2 minutes or more.  Acknowledge once more that this is what you’ve been promised and what you are working towards in your life.

 OPEN YOUR EYES AND STRETCH YOUR BODY.  Continue your day from this place of awareness of who God has made you to be and His promises.
 
I often end with the Lord's Prayer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is peace in the midst of the storms of life
 * Also, don't forget to enter the Trader Joe's give away!  Go here for details.

1 comment:

  1. I see what M has his feet on under the train table.....Christmas 2011 Baby!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...