Friday, July 15, 2011

Yummy Summer - Summer Treats Part II



My grandmother used to can things in the summertime to enjoy throughout the fall and winter.  These are the jars that filled my Grandmother's basement.
I love the idea of preserving summer vegetables, especially ones that come from my own garden. There is something so enchanting about doing things that the generations before me did, so for the past few summers I’ve been trying my hand at canning and I’m loving every moment of it. I’m longing to purchase real canning equipment (any recommendations?)
But for now I’m limping along with my lobster pot and tongs!
So far, it’s working quite well.
If you’ve never tried canning, I highly recommend it! It’s not as scary as it seems!
Although this isn’t a fun summer activity that I can share with my children yet (they are too young to help with sharp blades or boiling pots!), I’m hoping that they’ll carry on the tradition when they get older.
Our pastor’s wife used to can zucchini relish and I always loved it. This summer my giant zucchini were threatening a garden take over, so I knew it was time to make relish!
Zucchini Relish by Nancy Worth
10 c. ground zucchini
2 c. ground onion
5 T. salt, non-iodized is best
2 c. ground sweet pepper, 4-5 peppers (I used a combination of red, yellow and orange)
4 c. sugar
2 ½ c. vinegar or apple cider
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. celery seed
1 T. cornstarch
Mix zucchini, onion and salt. Let stand overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse with cold water and drain again. Mix with remaining ingredients and boil 30 minutes. Put in hot jars and seal. A food processor makes this easy and quick. Makes 6 pints.
We love to pour some over cream cheese and serve with crackers. Or on a grilled hotdog!

Some great canning sites



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...