Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What Does Joe Know? vs. Southern Living

All of the pumpkin products are out at Trader Joe's
so you know what that means....
Fall is here!!!
I think Fall is my favorite season.
I grabbed their Pecan Pumpkin Oatmeal and...
 
It wasn't horrible but it was a NWE food (Not Worth Eating)
For some of you hard core pumpkin fans, you might like it.
It just didn't wow me.
Sorry.
 
So, for redemption, I'm sharing something that is totally worth eating and worth making!
I had some friends over on Sunday to watch the Emmys - a little girls night - and I made
Caramelized Onion and Apple Tassies
A little recipe out of Southern Living magazine.
My picture doesn't do justice and I forgot to garnish with fresh thyme from my garden! augh!
But trust me, these are a divine, savory bite of Fall!
 
1/2 c. butter softened
1/2 (8oz.) package cream cheese
1 c. shredded Asiago cheese (I used cheddar Gruyere)
1 1/4c. flour
2 Tbsp. butter
1 3/4c. diced sweet onion
1 3/4c. peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (I used organic gala)
1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
4 bacon slices, cooked and chopped finely
2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
 
1.  Beat first 2 ingredients and 1/2c. cheese
until creamy. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until blended.  Shape into 24 balls; cover and chill for 1 hour.
 
2.  Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in pan over med. heat, sauté onions 5 min, add apples and next 4 ingredients cook until golden brown. Remove from heat and cool completely.
 
3.  Preheat oven to 350. place dough balls into greased mini muffin tin and press into pan making shells.  Sprinkle bacon in tart shells, then the apple filling, sprinkle with extra cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or golden brown.
Add thyme for garnish on top.
 
Super YUM!


2 comments:

  1. I would never think to put onions and apples together...sounds fun!

    I haven't found anything pumpkin-y that I didn't like.... sad about their oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkin this time of year, and I am wondering what your favorite pumpkin cookie recipe is and if you find a good one - will you post it? I ate an amazing one with maple frosting on it and cannot seem to duplicate the recipe. Mine always come out too mushy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...