Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mouthful of Sand

I’ve been enjoying the love of one child this week. It’s really fun to get to focus my attention on one child and in this case, do all things boy! At the beach, the little dude loved covering his trucks and himself in sand. He’s 2 ½ and we’ve been going to the beach his whole little life, but the other day he did something he knows better than to do – he bent down, mouth open, and took a big bite out of the sand! As he gagged I asked, “why did you do that buddy?” I could understand if he were still a baby, babies always seem to put sand in their mouth until they realize how horrible it tastes and feels and they quickly learn not to do that anymore! But this was intentional, not experimental.

This morning I was reading from Proverbs 10:19-21 –
“When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.
The tongue of the righteous is choice silver, but the heart of the wicked is of little value.
The lips of the righteous nourish many, but fools die for lack of judgment.”
I immediately thought of that mouthful of sand. In my life there is a secret longing to gossip about some people. I don’t know why it’s so attractive – I know better. Yet all too often I intentionally bend down, mouth open, and indulge in something so tasteless and gritty. Why? Why do I say such foolish things? Why do I gravitate towards conversations that include some juicy details about other people? It’s sin. It’s of little value. It’s death. It’s a mouthful of sand. Do you struggle with this too?
I thought it only appropriate to post my French Sand Tart recipe today! >
*check back later today for my 10 on 10 post

2 comments:

  1. I constantly struggle to not gossip. It's hard, it's all around us. Sometimes I need to make my own life more worthy so I can just talk about myself but that might be bad too. I guess it needs to be able balance or maybe just sticking to current events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post. thanks for linking up!
    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...